This time I manage to spot a sale for Nikon F4 for SGD$300. I bought on the spot from a friendly guy, this guy taught me how to play with film canister like pushing the ASA(Other term for ISO, but different value from ISO). From film photography, I learn what is Exposure Value (EV) and Light Value(LV), I learn how to control exposure setting, using the a set of aperture and shutter speed settings to get the same exposure with another set of setting. So I purchase a few canister film ranging from 200 to 800. Out of interest, I took out ASA800 to test out first. I even push the film ASA 800 to ASA1250.
1st Selection
The Night Festival
ISO-800
Shutter speed- 1/8sec @ F/5.6
35mm Focal Length- 24mm
Camera-F4S
Lens- Nikkor 24mm F/2.8D
1. In which area I wish to improve and achieve better results.
From the look of the pictures, I think I capable of achieve better result from lower aperture. Aperture at F/5.6 is considerate low for night shooting, I should take the shot at shutter speed 1/15 @ F/4. I should always keep in mind about framing too. I framed this shot with 1/3 rules but I totally forget about lining. Lines that viewers lines are draw to.
2. What I hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was hoping to take a colors of the lighting design from the overhead bridge to bring out more life in the shot. Frankly speaking, if not for the festival season you can't find a light decoration around Singapore.
3. Under what circumstances is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Even with ASA of 800, the shutter speed for the shot are too low. I quite afraid of handshaking effect, I try to stabilize my hand but the fear still give it away. Low light and low shutter speed settings, the fear of handshaking effect, I did not fire too many shot that festival night.
4. What I personally think of the picture
I underestimated the shot, I always keep in mind about perspective and forget about framing the shot. Whenever I thought of perspective, I forget about the framing. This shot is taken with perspective in mind thus forgetting about framing.
2nd Selection
The Shrine
ISO-800
Shutter speed- 1/60sec @ F/16
35mm Focal Length- 24mm
Camera-F4S
Lens- Nikkor 24mm F/2.8D
1. In which area I wish to improve and achieve better results.
I taken this shot at F/16, I been doing this for most of the shots. I starting to feel I underutilized manual settings capabilities. I can improve the shot using lower aperture like F/4 or F/5.6 to create a layer effect to make the subject to stand out even more.
2. What I hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
With this shot, I wish to achieve a understanding of temple and shrine that also can create a good shots. Chines shrines and temple are considerate part of Singapore culture, I think I can do better to job next time to promote part of cultures in Singapore online.
3. Under what circumstances is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Using perspective and lining to frame this shot, I manage to create a this shot with a wider lens. Even with Nikon 24mm with less or no distortion, the shot seem lack of perspective.
4. What I personally think of the picture
I personally think that the colors are good enough to be portrait on a PC. I wondering the differences I will face if I have to print them out. I guess it another research I can do on it to improve my colors awareness.
3rd Selection
The Lantern of the Night
ISO-800
Shutter speed- 1/15sec @ F/5.6
35mm Focal Length- 24mm
Camera-F4S
Lens- Nikkor 24mm F/2.8D
1. In which area I wish to improve and achieve better results.
I feel the angle of this shot look kind of low. I might be able to frame this properly if I get another chance. It seem like the framing of this shot cause the shot to be irrelevant to what I want to achieve.
2. What I hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to achieve color coordination, selecting a primary color, secondary color and fill colors.
3. Under what circumstances is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
In a busy street filled with people walking from different direction, stopping and blocking the path. I feel that the eyes of the people cause me to feel unease. This probe me a question, Should a Photographer taking a photo to be blend in with the environment or outstanding people of in the crowd?
4. What I personally think of the picture
I felt this piece of work is ordinary, taking with a good piece of camera. Anybody with the same equipment could achieve this result. I could work better with this idea.
![]() |
| Trying out a perspective street view under a block. |
![]() |
| Try this shot with circular filter to made the reflection, framing is kind of out line. |
![]() |
| This is a test shot, attracts me but the framing is out of place. |
![]() |
| Street shot in low light and shutter speed. |
![]() |
| Trying Perspective, Lining and Framing for this shot. |









No comments:
Post a Comment